Great Breakfast Casserole Recipes for Vegetarians
Being vegetarian does not have to mean same old, same old boring meals every day. When ingredients are chosen right and kept in the parameters of the vegetarian diet, a vegetarian too can enjoy a sweet comforting casserole. Therefore, if you recently found out you cannot eat meat, or are hosting a vegetarian at your some, try some of these recipes you too will love them.
Note that most of the casserole requires 8- 24 hours of freezing so you may want to consider making some parts before going to bed.
Brie and vegie breakfast strata
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and sliced
- Brie round
- Sourdough bread loaf
- Dijon mustard
- Parmesan cheese
- Seasoned salt
- Sauté the onion red bell pepper and the sliced potatoes in hot oil until the onion turns golden or until the vegetables are ready.
- Cut and throw away the rind from the brie and cut the cheese into small cubes
- In a lightly greased baking bowl, layer half an inch of the bread slices, the brie cubes, the onion mixture and the parmesan cheese.
- In a different bowl whisk together the eggs, the milk, the salt and the pepper
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture.
- Cover and chill for 8- 24 hours.
- Bake until the top is browned and the middle is set.
One dish blackberry French toast
You can add to this maple syrup, whipped cream or any topping of your choice
A cup of blackberry jam
French bread loaf cut into 0.5 inch slices
Packaged, low fat cream cheese cut into 0.5 inch cubes.
2 cups of half and half
Brown sugar, firmly packed
- In a small saucepan, cook the jam in medium heat until melted and smooth
- At the bottom of a lightly greased baking bowl, place the bread cubes followed by the cheese cubes. Grizzle with the melted jam then top with some more bread slices.
- In a different bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, cinnamon, and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture and lightly sprinkle the brown sugar. Cover and chill for 8- 24 hours.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes at a temperature of 325 degrees, uncover and bake until the mixture has set and the bread is golden brown.
- Serve with a toping of your choice.
Top with halved grape tomatoes, slices green onions, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Hot ground pork sausage
Butter or margarine
Green onions, thinly sliced
Shredded Monterey jack cheese with jalapenos
- Over medium heat, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain by pressing over paper towels
- Clean and dry the skillet.
- Sauté, in the skillet, the onions and cilantro for one minute
- Add the eggs, pepper, salt and cook without stirring till the eggs begin to set at the bottom.
- Pass a spatula across the bottom of the pan and continue to cook until the eggs are thickened but still moist.
- Remove from heat and fold in cheese and sausage
- In a lightly greased baking bowl, put in the tortillas and pour in the cheese and sprinkle the
- Monterey jack cheese
- Bake until bubbly.